Tango is an internationally recognized dance form that has been gaining grounds ever since its inception. It originated in the low-key districts of Buenos Aires and is still considered to have lost little of its authenticity until today. If you are in love with tango dancing but don’t quite know the do’s and don’ts of tango clothing, you are welcome to check this list to help you chose the right outfit.
Let’s get started with the things you should keep in mind.
✓ Wear dresses or tops that are tailored in a stretchable single or double layered fabric to ensure a snug fit and ease of movement. A tight dress which does not stretch might be distracting and will not be comfortable to wear on the dancefloor.
✓ A combination of black and red fabric is a classic that jazz up the dance floor a notch higher but tango outfits are not limited to these two colors.
✓ Buy knee-length dresses or skirts that will show your lower legs and complement your dance strokes. A-line, halter neck and asymmetrical dresses very popular for tango dancing.
✓ Have a careful glance at the neckline when you buy a top or a dress. Make sure the neckline is not too deep, and even if it is, you should have the confidence to carry that look. Make sure the neckline does not move around when you dance so that you can feel comfortable.
✓ Cross, crisscross, V shape, open, deep open, cutout or asymmetrical - make sure you have a look at the back cuts. Just don’t go for plain back cuts.
✓ Don’t forget the torso of the dress. The hip movements are a vital part of tango dancing so super tight dresses won’t help your dance moves.
✓ Black, red, violet and teal are great choices for monochrome dresses and tops. If you love multicolor, then try some prints. The choice of fabrics is endless online. Find the colors you love most and also keep in mind the color of your shoes when you buy your outfit.
✓ The quality of the fabric should also be considered while you have a nice look at the different sellers of Tango wear. The fabric should be flexible and act as a second skin to your body. If you have a chance to try tango dancewear on, then practice some dance movements in front of a full-length mirror to ensure you look good and stay comfortable at the same time.
✓ Consult assistance if you are unsure about sizing, color and styles of tango. If you are buying online, get in touch with the shop owner and get answers to all of your questions before you buy online.
And these are the things you should avoid.
● If you need extra support, avoid wearing strapless innerwear. Whether you wear a tango dress or a top-and-skirt look, check out your innerwear in action before you go on the dancefloor. Practice some dance steps at home in front of your mirror and check how much it moves. It is generally recommendable to wear a bra with transparent straps or a backless bra with halter neck or neckholder dresses and tops.
● Never wear a skirt or dress which is a size too tight as it might disrupt your dance movements. Skirts which are quite loose at the waist are equally bad choices for tango dancers because they will move too much when you dance and distract.
● If you have long hair, then an open hairstyle is not recommendable. Choose your favorite hairstyle and make sure it doesn’t come undone while you dance. Hairspray also does wonders. Try out what works for you.
● Never buy tango shoes which are big and comfortable like your house shoes. It is very important to have tango shoes which sit tight and have adjustable straps to fasten them securely. Get some assistance from tango friends and tango shoe sellers to find the right shoe for your feet.
● Don’t kill the subtle look with too much accessories and jewelry.